History of the Radio Club of America, Inc.
BACK | HOME
One of the original messages taken by the Club Station at Hotel Ansonia, N.Y.C., 1915.
Up to 1915 the club had been operating under the original constitution of the old Junior Wireless Club, but it soon became apparent that conditions had changed and the old By-laws had become antiquated. Consequently a new Constitution was drafted and submitted to the members. The new constitution was duly adopted and has remained unchanged to date.
Transmitter, Station "2PM", which produced the first
transcontinental signals in 1916.
Note the synchronous rotary gap mounted between motor
and generator, large plated Leyden jar condensers and
1 K.W. United Wireless coffin transformer.
This was the very latest equipment at the time.
Record-breaking station, "2PM", John F. Grinan and Adolph Faron,
808 West End Ave., N. Y. C., 1916.
This was the most famous amateur station of its time. A short wave regenerative receiver
with one stage of audio frequency amplification was used with great success.
A year later, amateur station 2PM which has gone down in history as one of the most famous of all amateur stations, owned and operated by John Grinan and Adolph Faron, succeeded in breaking all records by sending the first transcontinental relay message from New York to California. This affair was not prearranged but was accomplished during the ordinary transmission periods and the answer was received back in New York in one hour and forty minutes from the time of transmission. Several weeks later the same station and the same operators succeeded in getting signals to California, a distance of some 2,500 miles over-land, a feat which had heretofore been deemed impossible with an input of one kilowatt on amateur wavelengths.
BACK | HOME | NEXT